5 Minutes to Shine
An APAP|NYC annual favorite, 5 Minutes to Shine (5MTS) showcases the most innovative engagement and audience-building work from the field. Inspired by the Wallace Foundation’s Nine Effective Practices for Building Audiences in the Arts, this APAP|NYC session highlights how to go from ideas to action.
Built your audience? Share your story for a chance to present at APAP|NYC 2018!
APAP is currently seeking submissions. Deadline to apply is October 13, 2017 at 5 p.m. (EDT).
Finalists will each present at the popular 5MTS event Monday morning, January 15, 2018 at the New York Hilton Midtown in New York City. One 5MTS winner will be chosen by a live audience to present at the annual APAP Awards Luncheon that same day.
Who can submit?
Anyone working in the performing arts, has a story to tell about building arts audiences, and who wants to attend the APAP|NYC conference is welcome, that includes:
- Independent Producers
- Executive or Artistic Directors
- Marketing Professionals
- Education and Community Engagement Professionals
If you are selected, you will need to become an APAP member, if you are not already one.
- You will walk away with a compelling presentation - an invaluable tool to galvanize a board, engage funders and community leaders, and hone your message.
- Finalists will receive one complimentary full registration to the APAP|NYC 2018 conference and one night’s accommodation. (A value of $1375!) Finalists who are not local to New York City may be eligible for an additional travel stipend.
How to Submit
- Read the full guidelines here.
- Apply online with a 150-word written narrative or a 30-second recording or video and send us the YouTube link (make the link private).
- Upload images of the work or experience described in your story in the online application.
- Indicate which of the Nine Effective Practices you reference and what you expect an audience may take away.
- Deadline to apply is October 13, 2017.
Logistics and Requirements
- Finalists will be notified by October 27, 2017.
- Finalists must be APAP members or become APAP members by Friday, November 17, 2017.
- Finalists agree to attend the 5 Minutes to Shine activities from January 14-15, 2018, during the APAP|NYC 2018 conference (January 12-16, 2018).
Have questions? Contact APAP Programs Manager, Kevin Hasser at email@example.com or 202.212.6865.
Need help developing your idea? You can watch videos of 5MTS highlights from previous years and read the Wallace Foundation's inspiring reports on building arts audiences.