5 Minutes to Shine
An APAP|NYC annual favorite, 5 Minutes to Shine (5MTS) showcases the most innovative engagement and audience-building work from the field. Inspired by the Wallace Foundation’s Nine Effective Practices for Building Audiences in the Arts, this APAP|NYC session highlights how to go from ideas to action.
Have a great story about building audiences? Share your story for a chance to present at APAP|NYC 2019!
The deadline to apply was September 30 at 5 p.m. (EDT).
Finalists will each present at the popular 5MTS event Monday morning, January 7, 2019 at the New York Hilton Midtown in New York City. One 5MTS participant will be chosen by a live audience to present at the annual APAP Awards Luncheon that same day.
Read our Inside Arts article and hear directly from past participants about their experiences and get tips on how to apply!
- Homer Bryant, Hiplet artistic director, ECE Touring
- Emily Colin, community engagement specialist, Wilson Center, Cape Fear Community College
- Jim Leija, director of education & community engagement, University Musical Society, University of Michigan
- Shona McCullagh, chief executive & artistic director, The New Zealand Dance Company
- Charlie Robbin, CEO, Capitol Theatre
Attend 5MTS on Monday, January 7, 10-11 a.m. in the Hilton Rendezvous Trianon and help choose one participant to present at the annual APAP Awards Luncheon.
Who can submit?
Anyone working in the performing arts, has a story to tell about building arts audiences, and who wants to attend the APAP|NYC conference is welcome, that includes:
- Agents/Artist Manager
- Independent Producers
- Executive or Artistic Directors
- Marketing Professionals
- Education and Community Engagement Professionals
If you are selected, you will need to become an APAP member, if you are not already one.
- You will walk away with a compelling presentation - an invaluable tool to galvanize a board, engage funders and community leaders, and hone your message.
- Finalists will receive one complimentary full registration to the APAP|NYC 2019 conference and one night’s accommodation. (A value of $1,364!) Finalists who are not local to New York City may be eligible for an additional travel stipend.
How to Submit
- Read the full guidelines here.
- Apply online with a 150-word written narrative or a 30-second recording or video and send us the YouTube link (make the link private).
- Upload images of the work or experience described in your story in the online application.
- Indicate which of the Nine Effective Practices you reference and what you expect an audience may take away.
- Deadline to apply was September 30, 2018.
Logistics and Requirements
- Finalists will be notified by October 23, 2018.
- Finalists must be APAP members or become APAP members by Friday, November 16, 2018.
- Finalists agree to attend the 5 Minutes to Shine activities from January 6-7, 2019, during the APAP|NYC 2019 conference (January 4-8, 2019).
Have questions? Contact APAP Programs Manager, Kevin Hasser at email@example.com or 202.212.6865.
You can watch videos of 5MTS highlights from previous years and read the Wallace Foundation's inspiring reports on building arts audiences.