5 Minutes to Shine
An APAP|NYC annual favorite, 5 Minutes to Shine (5MTS) showcases the most innovative engagement and audience-building work from the field. Inspired by the Wallace Foundation’s Nine Effective Practices for Building Audiences in the Arts and ongoing APAP/Wallace research on Small and Mid-sized Presenters, this session will highlight stories of building and engaging community through the performing arts specifically featuring our “Small and Mighty” presenting organizations.
Finalists will each present at the popular 5MTS event Sunday afternoon, 1:30-2:45 p.m. (EST), January 12, 2020 at the New York Hilton Midtown in New York City. One 5MTS participant will be chosen by a live audience to present at the annual APAP Awards Luncheon on Monday, January 13, 2020.
Read our Inside Arts article and hear directly from past participants about their experiences and get tips on how to apply!
Who can submit?
Any staff from small and mid-sized presenters with stories of building and engaging community through the performing arts is invited to apply, including:
- Independent Producers
- Executive or Artistic Directors
- Marketing Professionals
- Education and Community Engagement Professionals
If you are selected, you will need to become an APAP member, if you are not already one.
- You will walk away with a compelling presentation - an invaluable tool to galvanize a board, engage funders and community leaders, and hone your message.
- Finalists will receive one complimentary full registration to the APAP|NYC 2020 conference and one night’s accommodation. (A value of $1,390!) Finalists who are not local to New York City may be eligible for an additional travel stipend.
How to submit
- Read the full guidelines here.
- Apply online with a 150-word written narrative or a 30-second recording or video and send us the YouTube link (make the link private).
- Upload images of the work or experience described in your story in the online application. This isn’t required, but it may help illustrate your story.
- Indicate total annual budget, total programming budget, facility information (if applicable) and staff size of your organization.
- Deadline to apply is September 25, 2019.
Logistics and requirements
- Finalists will be notified by October 7, 2019.
- Finalists must be APAP members or become APAP members by Friday, November 1, 2019.
- Finalists agree to attend the 5 Minutes to Shine activities from January 12-13, 2020, during the APAP|NYC 2020 conference (January 10-14, 2020).
Have questions? Contact Kaitlyn Sakry, manager, programs and resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.212.6865.
Need help developing your idea? You can watch videos of 5MTS highlights from previous years and read the Wallace Foundation's inspiring reports on building arts audiences.