Emerging Leadership Institute
Leadership Institute (ELI) is an intensive two and a half-day
seminar that develops critical leadership skills for emerging arts professionals. Each year, a new cohort of approximately 25 individuals are invited to participate in ELI and attend APAP|NYC, APAP's annual conference held in New York City every January. ELI is a collaborative process where
learning from each other is highly valued and also a rare opportunity for each participant to reflect on and develop their ideas
about leadership and their own career.
Photo: ELI in Hilton Penthouse with APAP President & CEO from APAP|NYC 2016 by Adam Kissick/APAP
ELI 2017 will take place January 4-6, 2017 during the days leading up to APAP|NYC 2017 (January 6-10, 2017). Eligible applicants must be APAP members or be employed by an active APAP member organization and also be in the first 3-7 years of their career in the presenting and touring field. ELI is comprised of those who work directly in the presenting and touring field which includes but is not limited to individuals that are performing artists, presenters, managers, agents, creative directors, arts managers that work for arts councils or service organizations etc.
Facilitated by professional practitioners in the field, Theresa Holden of Holden & Arts Associates and Rosalba Rolon of Pregones Theater, ELI is an opportunity to engage in new professional relationships, exchange ideas in a
confidential environment, become part of an expanding network of ELI
alumni (now more than 380 alumni) and have an enhanced presence at
APAP|NYC 2017. ELI is a smart career move for any
performing arts professional including presenters, managers, artists, agents,
artistic company managing directors, marketing directors, arts council
personnel and other related positions in the performing arts industry.
Spotlights on ELI Alumni
We caught up with 5 prominent alumni to discover the lasting value of their ELI experience. Hear from the participants themselves who shared their reasons for applying, what they learned, how they've benefitted personally and professionally, and more!
Christopher Kaelin - Class of 2015 | Aaron Shackelford - Class of 2014 | Chelsea Lafayette - Class of 2011
Jordana Phokompe - Class of 2005 | Thomas O. Kriegsmann - Class of 2002
Interested in ELI 2017? Apply by June 30!
For consideration to participate in the Emerging Leadership Institute 2017:
- Review the ELI 2017 Guidelines and Application Preview.
- Prepare an updated resume and your responses to the short answer questions.
- Submit your application and all required documents through the ELI 2017 online system no later than 5:00p.m. EDT on Thursday, June 30, 2016.
Applications submitted via email will not be accepted. All applicants will be notified by Friday, July 14, 2016.
ELI Class of 2016
- Viviana Benitez - Lincoln Center, New York, NY
- Haley Bradstreet - Koresh Dance Company, Philadelphia, PA
- Annick Busch - Detroit Jazz Festival, Harper Woods, MI
- Eveline Chang - Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), Brooklyn, NY
- Katie Diamond - Elsie Management, Brooklyn, NY
- Laura Smith Ettabbakh - The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, College Park, MD
- Shannon Fitzsimons - UMS (University Musical Society), Ann Arbor, MI
- Brian Halaas - Arts Midwest, Minneapolis, MN
- Courtney Harge - Fractured Atlas, Brooklyn, NY
- Emily Hefley - Germantown Performing Arts Center, Germantown, TN
- Thomas Hudgins - Brooks Center for the Performing Arts, Clemson, SC
- Lauryn Kalbermatten-Goldberg - Agency for the Performing Arts, New York, NY
- Stefanie Karlin - Squid MGMT, Seattle, WA
- Noel Largess - Agency for the Performing Arts, Beverly Hills, CA
- Neal Ludevig - Harlem Arts Festival, New York, NY
- Mike Michelon - Ann Arbor Summer Festival, Ann Arbor, MI
- Hilary Northcraft - Seattle Theatre Group, Seattle, WA
- Aengus Ortiz - Ballets with a Twist, New York, NY
- Matthew Parker - The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts, Louisville, KY
- Rachel Rosado - Asia Society, New York, NY
- Eva Rosenberg - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Gregory Seamon - Mayo Performing Arts Center, Skillman, NJ
- Melissa Seltzer - Jewish Community Center of Greater Baltimore, Gordon Center, Owings Mills, MD
- Erin Jenkins Smith - Hopkins Center for the Arts, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- Chelsea Sutton - Lisa Smith Wengler Center for the Arts, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
- Allyson Taubenheim - Northrop, University of Minnesota, Bloomington, MN
- Daniel Vesey - Alliance Artist Management, Little Compton, RI