Emerging Leadership Institute
Leadership Institute (ELI) is an intensive two and a half-day
seminar that develops critical leadership skills for emerging arts professionals. Each year, a new cohort of 25 individuals are invited to participate in ELI and attend APAP|NYC, APAP's annual conference held in New York City every January. ELI is a collaborative process where
learning from each other is highly valued. This workshop is also a beneficial and
rare opportunity for each participant to reflect on and develop their ideas
about leadership and their own career.
Facilitated by professional
practitioners in the field, ELI is an opportunity to engage in new professional relationships, exchange ideas in a
confidential environment, become part of an expanding network of ELI
alumni (now more than 300 alumni) and have an enhanced presence at
APAP|NYC. ELI is a smart career move for any
performing arts professional including presenters, managers, artists, agents,
artistic company managing directors, marketing directors, arts council
personnel and other related positions in the performing arts industry.
ELI will take place January 13-15, 2016 during the days leading up to APAP|NYC 2016 (January 15-19, 2016). Eligible applicants must be employed by an active APAP member organization and be in the first 3-7 years of their career in the presenting and touring field.
Spotlights on ELI Alumni!
We caught up with 5 prominent alumni to discover the lasting value of their ELI experience. Hear from the participants themselves who shared their reasons for applying, what they learned, how they've benefitted personally and professionally, and more!
Christoper Kaelin - Class of 2015 | Aaron Shackelford - Class of 2014 | Chelsea Lafayette - Class of 2011
Jordana Phokompe - Class of 2005 | Thomas O. Kriegsmann - Class of 2002
Interested in ELI 2016? Apply before July 1, 2015!
For consideration to particiapte in the Emerging Leadership Institute 2016:
- Review the ELI 2016 Guidelines and Application Preview.
- Prepare an updated resume and your responses to the short answer questions.
- Submit your ELI 2016 Application through the online system no later than 5:00pm EDT on Wednesday, July 1, 2015. All applicants will be notified no later than Friday, July 17, 2015. Please note, any applications submitted via email will not be accepted.
Questions? Contact Kalyn Saylor by email at email@example.com or phone at 202-212-6865.
ELI Class of 2015
- Rachel Ash - Carolina Performing Arts, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- Leanne Cardwell - Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, Scottsdale, AZ
- Shannon Dozoryst - Young Auditorium, University of Wisconsin, Whitewater, WI
- Ben Easton - Joe’s Pub at the Public, New York City, NY
- Abby Eddy - Purdue Convocations, West Lafayette, IN
- Sarah Fieger - Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, San Antonio, TX
- James Fredrick - Anchorage Concert Association, Anchorage, AK
- Gillian Friedman - CAMI Music, New York City, NY
- Lexie Olivia Grant - Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, Urbana, IL
- Mari Hein Beegle - Union Colony Civic Center, Greeley, CO
- Katherine Jones - Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Christopher Kaelin - The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts, Louisville, KY
- Barry Kornhauser - Millersville University, Lancaster, PA
- Carolynn Lee - Kohler Foundation, Inc., Kohler, WI
- Amy Miller - Pentacle, New York City, NY
- Simeon Moran - Snuff Puppets, Victoria, Australia
- Kenneth Naanep - On Stage at Kingsborough at Kingsborough Community College, Brooklyn, NY
- Oluwole Oguntokun - Renegade Theatre, Lagos, Nigeria
- Freya Björg Olafson - núna (now) festival, Winnipeg, Canada
- Jade Parente - The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts, Hartford, CT
- Melissa Cleary Pearson - University of Massachusetts Amherst Fine Arts Center, Amherst, MA
- Regina Ruhberg - Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science, Sioux Falls, SD
- Anat Shinar - Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Anna Simmons - University Musical Society, Ann Arbor, MI
- Daniel Soto - Skirball Cultural Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Kathleen Spehar - The O’Shaughnessy, St. Catherine University, St Paul, MN
- Rebecca Talisman - Washington Performing Arts, Washington, DC
- Christine Tully - Carolina Performing Arts, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Photo: ELI at APAP|NYC 2015 by Adam Kissick/APAP