The Cultural Exchange Fund
Funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to support APAP Members engaged in establishing global cultural exchanges.
The Cultural Exchange Fund is a travel subsidy program supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to assist U.S. based presenting professionals and their organizations and companies in building partnerships and collaborations with international touring artists, companies and their collaborators and to experience the work of artists from around the world in its cultural context. The Association of Performing Arts Presenters recognizes that promoting global exchanges of artists and their work and cross-cultural programs is essential to fully engage audiences and communities in the breadth and diversity of performing arts experiences and provides an opportunity for presenting professionals to expand and deepen their knowledge of artists, traditions and cultures from around the world. APAP strongly encourages but does not limit travel to the following regions: Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
APAP awards its member presenting organizations, agents, managers, producers, individual artists, and to groups of presenting professionals traveling to see the work of artists and companies or to develop and advance projects with foreign artists and their collaborators. All applicants must be active members of the Association of Performing Arts Presenters.
Artists -- please note: APAP will not award funds to student artists, nor to artists who are performing in festivals or touring outside of the United States, nor traveling abroad to meet with international presenters about performance opportunities.Artists seeking funding for festival performances should visit the Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation website to see information on the USArtists International program.
NEW: Want to travel to an international festival but don't know where to start? Browse the APAP International Festival Guide - sorted by region or by month. Then search the International Cultural Exchange database to see if a CEF awardee has traveled there and learn about their experience!
All applicants must be members of the Association of Performing Arts Presenters* and must be one of the following:
• Individuals from presenting organizations who are part of the decision-making process for programming and presentations;
• Independent presenters, managers, agents or producers who are working with a presenter or group of presenters to develop a project or tour with foreign artists and who can demonstrate a mission and history of relationship building, or project development that serves the presenting field, presenting organizations or a particular community;
• Groups of presenters from different presenting organizations who may be collaborating to develop or advance a project or program initiative;
• Individual professional artists
*Note: Membership must extend at least one month beyond proposed travel dates. To meet artist member eligibility requirements, the artist must be an independent Artist member in good standing or hold an active individual associate membership through their agent/manager/agency.
||July 15, 2013
||August 15, 2013
||October 2013-March 2014|
||February 27, 2014
||August 14, 2014
||October 2014-May 2015|
How to Apply
- Review the program guidelines;
- Complete the electronic application:
- Submit the online application by 5:00 pm (Eastern Time) on the day of the deadline listed in the table above.
Need assistance with this grant application?
Have questions? Send an email to Laura Benson, programs manager, email@example.com or call 202-207-3852.